Cheves Hydropower Plant
The Cheves hydropower plant is located on Rio Huaura, about 130 km by north of Lima, between provinces of Huaura and Oyon.
The Cheves hydropower plant started operation in August, 2015, and started to inject 171 MW to the Peruvian interconnected system. A new transmission network between the districts of Huaura and Oyón, has been constructed as part of the project.
During construction, 14 rural communities from its area of direct influence were involved. Sustainable projects were implemented with special focus on the productive capacity of each community. Additionally, more than 3000 employees from different countries, including local villagers, were engaged.
Cheves will generate 837 GwH per year.
- July 14, 2001: Issuance of Definitive Concession.
- September 19, 2006: Approval of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the Cheves Hydropower Plant.
- July 15, 2008: Approval of the Environmental Impact Assessment of the Cheves-Huacho Line.
- February 12, 2009: Registration of the Cheves Hydropower Plant as a CDM (Clean Development Mechanism) Project by the Secretariat of the United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- October 12, 2009: SN Power awarded at the auction called by Proinversión.
- December 3, 2009: Concession agreement signed with the Peruvian Government.
- December 20, 2010: The International Finance Corporation (IFC) announces the long-term financing of USD 250 million to build the Cheves Hydropower Plant.
- March 22, 2011: First Stone Laying Ceremony.
- June 03, 2013: Completion of Powerhouse excavation
- November 15, 2013: Completion of transformer housing excavation
- February 26, 2014: Completion of tunnels excavation
- April 02, 2014: Completion of concrete works in the Powerhouse and start of electromechanical works.
- January 16, 2015: Start of water filling (water filling) in the headrace tunnel
- June 16, 2015: Start of commissioning stage
- June 17, 2015: 1st turbine rotation – Unit 1
- August 22, 2015: Cheves HPP start-up
- September 15, 2015: Cheves HPP inauguration