La Oroya Hydropower Plant

The hydropower plant is located in the department of Junín, district of La Oroya, at 3,694 masl. It is the oldest plant operated by Statkraft Peru (as of 2014, it has been in operation for 100 years).

The Plant

La Oroya, together with the Malpaso and Pachachaca hydropower plants, was initially constructed to supply the power demand arising out of the mining activities of Cerro de Pasco Copper Corporation.  In 2001, the assets were sold to company Electroandes, a company that was privatized and acquired by PSEG Global in the same year, and operated the plant until 2007.  By the end of that year, SN Power Peru acquired the assets of La Oroya HPP.  Finally, in 2014, Statkraft, main shareholder of SN Power Peru, took over its assets and operation.

Operation

La Oroya Hydropower Plant is the oldest plant in the company with operations dating back from 1914.  La Oroya receives the water from the hydraulic sub-system of the Pachachaca hydropower plant, property of Statkraft Peru.  The water used in Pachachaca are discharged into the Yauli river, and then taken in again at the Cut-off intake and channeled to the Taza Oroya forebay.  Finally, the water is conveyed to the powerhouse via a penstock.  La Oroya is equipped with three generation units.

Corporate Responsibility

Statkraft Peru has been conducting corporate responsibility programs regarding the building of capacities and educational competences in the schools within the area of influence of the hydropower plant.  Additionally, environmental controls are in place as part of the environmental monitoring program and solid waste integral management.

Facts and figures

  • Location: district of La Oroya, province of Yauli, Junín region
  • Water source: Yauli river basin
  • Installed capacity: 9.00 MW
  • Effective capacity: 9.48 MW
  • Type: hydropower
  • Annual output: 63.6 GWh
  • Net head: 221 m
  • Design flow: 6 m3/ s
  • Equipment: powerhouse, 3 generation units, 2 horizontal shaft Pelton turbines per unit.
  • Construction: completed in 1914
  • Operation: since 1914